TOPIC: THE SOVEREIGNTY OF CHRIST
TEXT: Matthew 28:20
INTRODUCTION: Sovereignty is a legal term. It portends the possession of absolute power and authority. God’s sovereignty is one of the most important principles in Christian Theology. God is preeminent in power and authority. He is described in the Bible as All-Powerful (Psalm 147:5). This sovereign power of the Father is evidently manifested in the Son, in these ways:
- HIS SOVEREIGNTY IN CREATION
- His sovereignty is manifested in creation
- He created all things by His power
- All things were made by Him, Psalm 33:6
- All things were made for Him, Col. 1:16
- You are part of His creation, he owns you, Rom. 14:7, 8.
- HIS SOVEREIGNTY IN HIS NAME
- His sovereignty is manifested in His Name
- His Name is above other names, Philp. 2:8
- His Name subdues all powers, Philp. 2:9.
- His Name heals the sick, Acts 3:6
- His Name is a refuge, Prov. 18:10
- You have been empowered with his Name, Mk. 16:17, 18.
- HIS SOVEREGNTY IN HIS WORD
- His sovereignty is manifested in His word
- His word convicts a sinner of sin, Heb. 4:12
- His word dispels doubts, defenses and controversies, Psalm 29:5
- His word heals and delivers from death, Psalm 107:20
- You have been commanded to use the word, Job 22:28
- HIS SOVEREIGNTY IN HIS WORKS
- His sovereignty is manifested in His works
- His power to forgive sins, John 8:11
- His power to cause multiplication, Matt. 14:13-21
- His power to raise the dead, John 11:43
- HIS SOVEREIGNTY IN HIS CHURCH
- His sovereignty is manifested in His church
- He is the builder of the church, Matt. 16:18
- He is the Head of the church, Col. 1:18
- He is the purifier of the church, John 17:17
- He died for the church, Eph.5:25
- He is coming again for the church, 1Thess. 4:16,17.
- HIS SOVEREIGNTY IN HIS PRESENCE
- His sovereignty is manifested in His ever abiding presence
- He is a very present help in times of trouble, Psalm46:1
- He was available for the three Hebrew youths in fire, Dan. 3:23-25
- To the nation of Israel He manifested as Pillar of Cloud and Fire, Exo.13:21.
CONCLUSION: Jesus is a sovereign King. He declared so of Himself in Matthew 28:18: ‘…all power is given unto me in heaven and in earth’. Would you acknowledge Him today as your savior and submit to Him as sovereign Lord over your life?